Wardrobe Essentials Every Woman Needs

source
One thing I've always aspired is a a carefully curated closet. The older I get, the more particular I become in regards to what I wear, how I style myself, and what brands I invest my coin in. Also, I'm really just tired of the laundry.

I've found myself listening to the Myleik Teele's MyTaughtMe podcasts and have been greatly inspired by her discussions of money management, savings, and the importance of cost-per-wear. There is a certain wisdom to investing in higher quality pieces that offer true longevity (albeit them being more expensive) pieces instead constantly purchasing lower end/lower quality items over and over and over again. These lower quality pieces that constantly need to be re-purchased - or a barely worn because the low costs equates to low value - will, slowly but surely, bite a bigger portion of your wallet than it initially seemed. Just get a pair the Nike Tech Fleece sweats instead of 6 pairs of Old Navy and Target sweats bought on sale and barely worn. Because, one the the higher price tag will do is definitely drive you to wear the pieces.

source
After reading Elizabeth Suzann discuss her pricing model for her brand (and the very insightful follow up interview on Racked on changes in consumerism practices in fashion), I've decided to double down on my efforts to curate my closet. So I'm clearing out my closet of the unused/barely worn items and vowing to make better use of the quality pieces I do own. In my quest to make sure I do have the best pieces in my wardrobe, I ran across this amazing list of "Essentials" compiled by What Do I Wear. Check it out! Let's work smarter and not harder!

The Coveteur | Miranda Kerr

  1. Black Leather Jacket - goes with everything, plus makes any outfit look awesome and instantly more stylish.
  2. Black + Grey Blazer - another wardrobe staple, but a little lighter and more dressed up than the leather jacket.
  3. Tan Well Fitted Trench Coat - the ultimate feminine coat
  4. Denim Jacket - a more casual version than the leather jacket
  5. Black Midi Skirt - essential and easy to throw on with another basic piece 
  6. LBD - a proper length, and a well fitting black dress
  7. Black Ruffled Mini Skirt + Printed Skirt - sexy with heels and perfect with Birks. Worn with Converse and opting out for boots is another option. 
  8. Slouchy Silk Pants - one of the most comfy but dressed up pants to own.
  9. Black Suit Pants/Trouser pants - an ongoing favorite 
  10. Boyfriend Jeans - plus your boyfriends knit, a sneaker or sandal

  11. The Coveteur | Monica Rose

  12. Basic Skinny Jeans - for that perfect little getaway of all black everything.
  13. White Skinny Jeans - clean and simple
  14. Maxi Skirt - in silk, chiffon, wool.. simply perfection
  15. Leather Shorts - perfection
  16. Vintage Levi’s Denim Shorts - for hot lazy days 
  17. White, Grey, Navy + Black T-Shirts - the inevitable basics.
  18. White Beach Cover-Up - need I say more?
  19. White + Black Silk Shirts - in the same inevitable basics category as all the t-shirts
  20. Light Blue Cotton Shirt - for when you want the mannish chic and dress up like a boy.
  21. Flannel Plaid Shirt - over sized and comfortable for any casual outfit

  22. The Coveteur | Tracee Ellis Ross

  23. Houndstooth Sweater or Blazer - for a subtle touch of a trend 
  24. Black Oversized Knit - a good throw-on for when it gets colder
  25. Heeled Sandals - for events/dinners/date night outs
  26. Black/Creme or White Converse - for airplanes, shopping and running errands.
  27. Black ankle Boots with a little heel - the ultimate everyday shoe
  28. Black Birkenstocks - for comfort
  29. Leopard/cheetah printed loafer - they go just as well with boyfriend jeans as they do with skinny’s.
  30. Sneakers - for street wear or running 
  31. Black Shoulder Bag - giving in to that ‘it’ or trend bag of the season
  32. Black Everyday Bag - for when a bigger bag is needed

  33. The Coveteur | Gaia Repossi

  34. Carry-All Pouch - good for going out, or to grab a coffee
  35. Wool Scarf - layering, and warmth
  36. Plaid Printed Scarf - adding that subtle color or pattern to a simple and basic outfit. 
  37. Black Wool Hat - the perfect circular shape, not quite a fedora and not quite a farmers hat
  38. Black over the Knee Socks - ideal for outfitting as the cooler weather approaches
  39. Sunglasses - black, classic, and the right shape that compliments your face. 
  40. Boyfriend Watch - something slightly to big but not overly 

The Coveteur | Tina Craig

While I do own a most of items on the list, I guess I should stop being stubborn and finally get a trench coat, vintage Levi shorts, white Chuck Taylors, and a good proper leather jacket. 

Starting over and being wiser feels awesome.

xo,
jana-lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment